St Pancras Parish Schools
- Reminiscence of the St Pancras Bazaar, in aid of the Parish Schools
- December 17-19, 1872
- 146 x 121mm (5¾ x 4¾in)
St Pancras Parish Schools at Leavesden Woodside, near Watford, built in 1870, were for the reception of pauper children and housed 400 boys and more than 250 girls and infants who received a plain education and were sent out, the boys as apprentices, many entering the army and navy as musicians, while the girls were trained for and provided with places as domestic servants; the institution occupied a site of about 37 acres. (Kelly's Directory 1886)
The schools later became Abbots Langley Hospital which closed in the early 1990s. The site has now been redeveloped for housing and virtually all the old buildings demolished.
For much more history visit: www.workhouses.org.uk/StPancras/